Xfree/Cygwin for Star

>Hello all!
>I've been a user of Cygwin B20.1 on NT4 for several months
>and it works like a charm. I also have installed the MIX
>Xserver and libs and they work with no problems (I also
>have Exceed on my PC... which helps me test software.)

>Here is my problem: I need to do GLX development and saw the
>Xfree86 project as my savior. So, I renamed my MIX X dir, which
>is /usr/X11R6.4, and proceeded to follow the installation of
>Xfree86 ans stated in the mini FAQ at
>http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/

What did you install?  Everything from xc-4-binaries direcory
at ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree?  For developement
plus X-server you do need everything from it.  You must first install
Cygwin 1.1.3 or Cygwin 1.1.4.  I am affraid you have Cygwin B20.1
laying around which is definitely not compatible with Cygwin-Xfree.
It will cause all kind of core dumps and access_violations.
Please refer to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin to install
latest version of Cygwin first, then install XFree under
/usr/X11R6.  For example if your Cygwin 1.1.4 is installed
in c:\cygwin, then XFree should be installed in c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6.

>After following the FAQ, compiling/installing Xfree from
>source, installing new drivers, etc., when I test a couple
>of my simple test programs (hello world) that were running
>fine with MIX, I get access violations/corruption problems...
>with Exceed and with MIX server. (I adjusted my path to
>point to /usr/X11R6 now...)

XFree definitely works much better then MIX.  MIX uses X11R5 and cannot
even handle X11R6 XtWidgets without causing your whole Windows
to go bizare on you.

Beside the Cygwin-XFree is actually XFree86 4.0.1, same as XFre86
4.0.1 on Linux (Unices) and has OpenGL/GL extensions statically linked.
No DRI/DRM rendering for now, but it does software accelerated
OpenGL rendering using SGI GLX extnesions. It also uses
DirectX for DirectX rendering.

>I rolled back to my MIX libs configuration... but I am eager to
>try the Xfree86 libs. Please help! Someone lead me step by step.

Feel free to ask step by step and I would try to answer step by step.

Suhaib