Re: Xfree86-4_0 installation problem

Hi,

I am sorry for probably breaking the thread tree since I am a newcomer
to this mailing list and cannot reply directly to the article which I
founded in the archive.

I had just the same problem when using the startxwin.bat script as
provided in the archive. It is caused by the option "-screen 8" for
XWin.exe added in the script. Please remove the option and try again.
Hoping it helps you.

Regards,
Hajime Murao

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Windows NT / Build 1381 / Service Pack 5
> on a Siemens Nixdorf laptop.
>
> I've installed the latest Cygwin version using the
> set-up script and it works.  I've then installed the
> latest Xfree86-4_0 files from a mirror (ftp.franken.de).
> When I try to start the Xwin server with the startxwin.bat
> script from an MS-DOS window, I get the following
> messages:
>
> _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11_unix
> should be set to root
> pwin->width = 00000500
> pwin->height = 00000400
> pwin->paddedWidth = 00000a000
> pwin->bitsperPixel = 00000010
> Calling WinAllocateFramebufferMemory
>
> Then a window pops up saying
>
> ERROR
> Direct Draw Init Failed
> Error = 88760078 (unknown error)
>
> I don't know how to fix the first problem (ownership)
> under Cygwin since I don't know about users.
> My /etc/passwd does not have a root in it, and
> I don't have an adduser script or equivalent anywhere.
> I can't do a chown on the directory since root doesn't
> exist.  But I don't think that's the main problem anyway.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Soren
Hajime MURAO, Kobe University
A professional? No, I am not professional. I am an amateur. "Amateur"
comes from the latin "amare":to love. If you do not love what you do,
you do not deserve to do it. --- Orson Welles