RE: Why run XWindows on top of MS Windows?

 Robert,
Thanks for your suggestions.  BUT the answer to question is alrady covered
in FAQ.  All users needs to do read Q.1 and Q.2 and follow the links.  I
personally do not think anyone can cover this topic better then Kenton Lee,
whose URL pointer is under Q.2. (http://www.rahul.net/kenton).

I do not think it is a right attitude from users to shoot the questions and
suggestions without reading the FAQ and mail archives and then someone else
jumping in between hiding behind aliases of Trade-Marks and opening an
account as "xmoderator" under anonymous ID's.  This kind of behavior, I do
not appreciate.  It is an OpenSource projects users should be willing to
search and read to find the answers, before asking.  If I am unable to
answer the questions properly then others are welcome to answer, instead of
creating confusions through anonymous accounts.

At last, as I always say "Read First FAQ and Mail Archives Then Ask."  FAQ
and Mail archive are there for some good reasons.  98% when I have problems
with Cygwin itself, a few minutes search on Cygwin mail archives answer my
questions or give me hints where to look for a fix.  I expect users to make
a good use of precious disk space and Sourceware Server space Chris Faylor
devoted to this project.

Suhaib

1. General Information
1.1
 What is X11, X11R6.x, and Cygwin/XFree86?

X11, more precisely called "The X Window System" is a complete window system
that usually runs as the de-facto standard in Unix environments. X11R6.4 is
the name of the current release (precisely, the most recent one is
X11R6.5.1, but this is not part of the 4.X server line. XFree86 was
originally an implementation of the X Window System on x86-based systems.
(For more information see http://www.xfree86.org/#whatis ). Cygwin/XFree86
is a port of XFree86 version 4 for x86 windows based systems using Redhat's
Cygwin Development Tools.

1.2 Where can I find more information?

Books about X11 exist in any well-sorted CS bookstore.

Some URLs:
http://www.x11.org/ (this has a rather large bibliography)
http://www.xfree86.org/
http://www.rahul.net/kenton