RE: Compilation of the source, and aquisition of binaries

Wayne
   Have you read the FAQ and or the install guide available from
http://www.cygwin.com/xfree? All the cygwin mirrors have undamaged
copies of the archives last time I looked. The entire source tree is not
appropriate for windows - the hardware framebuffers are not usable on
windows. Windows has it's own X-Server which compiles from the same
source, but uses DirectX.

And yes the XServer is built.

There have been several discussions on the list as to building from
source (which is not a trivial task). Please search the list archives
for "source".

The reason you end up with the same source, is that the cygwin changes
and XServer have been merged into the Xfree86 source tree. It's now the
same. Further development is taking place, and when complete it will
also be merged into the Xfree86 source tree.

Rob