RE: can't load xf_dx.dll

you wrote that you tried compiling Xfree, but could not.
Compiling Xfree86 will not make a difference.
However, if you have Visual C++, try downloading xf_dx.dll source code
from "drivers" directory and compile it on your workstation.

On OpenDx mailing list many users complain that DLLs were not loading.
It turns out that I compiled OpenDX on Win2K using VC 6.0 SP4, and
Windows NT 4/ Win9x users had problems.  The problem was traced back to
a couple of different export symbols in MSVCRT.DLL.  Aparaently, THANKS
to MICROSOFT rubbish, that NT4/Win9x had a couple of different
export symbols in msvcrt.dll then on Win2K.  One of the fix was
to copy mscvrt.dll from Win2K and put it in windows\system32 directory
(according to one user), other use MSVC and compile it on your workstation.

Suhaib