RE: Missing /etc/X11 ... !

Since Windows 9x/ME are Microsoft's crap therefore the /B option is not
available
to "start" command on Win9x/ME.  The  start /B flag is used on Windows
NT/2000
to suppress display of MSDOS Window when a console app is executed.

For your Win9x, you need to edit startxwin.bat and delete the /B flags.
Because, I am not a fan of M$ Win9x/ME crap, which is full of 8-bit and
16-bit
junk, therefore startxwin.bat was written for NT.

You can use Cygwin nohup command to supress the display of console Window.
Here
is an example for your reference.

bash -c "/usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/bash -c ""/usr/bin/bash  -c './xterm -sb
-sl 2048 -font 7x13bold -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg yellow -bg black -e
/usr/bin/bash' &""&" &

Sorry
Suhaib