RE: Follow-up: XFree86 dies on mouse click.

Hi again,

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
> Which packeges, i.e. *.tar.bz2, you installed? Can you list them please
> > I wrote last week about my Cygwin XFree86 "dying" when I
> > click my mouse.  Other parts of Cygwin seem to work fine such as the
> > ssh port (very handy :^).

I finally got XFree to work with Cygwin on NT4 SP6a.  It's really
neat, and Suhaib and the other developers deserve a lot of thanks :^)

I'm not sure how I fixed the problem, but this is what I did to get it
working for archival purposes:

1.) Followed directions for installing Cygwin and XFree in the
Installation How-to (http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/docs/howto/book1.htm).

2.) In addition, installed xfree86-4.0-devel.tar.bz2 from xc-4-binaries.

3.) Installed the latest drivers for my old 4MB Matrox Mystique PCI video
card from the manufacturer's web site.

4.) XFree still didn't run.  It seemed not to switch video "contexts"
to XFree properly -- I still had the MS Windows arrow mouse cursor on
the screen when I ran XFree.  Some posts to the list suggested lowering
the resolution and color depth of the Xwin.exe process, so I tried
640x480x8, and then it worked.  I then increased the resolution and
color depth, and it works all the way up to 1024x768x24 which is what
I wanted.  Works fine to run X apps locally or over the network.

Various posts on the mailing list suggest trying the latest video drivers,
then installing the -devel tarball, then trying a low resolution/color
depth to see if it'll run at all.  This worked for me :^)  Thanks to
everyone who helped out.