Re: http://xfree86.cygwin.com/

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2001 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: http://xfree86.cygwin.com/

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 04:58:48PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >Well for this change - Suhaib its your decision.  I'm happy with
> >xfree86.cygwin.com and the links to cygwin becoming non relative URL's,
> >or with www.cygwin.com/xfree86 and the links staying as relative URLs.
> >I'll maintain either.
> >
> >My _suggestion_ is to use www.cygwin.com/xfree86 and relative URL's
> >because if people start mirroring cygwin, the xfree86 pages will get
> >mirrored as well.  Then xfree86.cygwin.com becomes a 301 redirect to
> >www.cygwin.com/xfree86 (with Chris's cooperation of course :])
>
> I haven't moved anything for xfree86.cygwin.com.  I've just made apache
> recognize that if someone says xfree86.cygwin.com they should really go
> to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree .  The location for the xfree86
> web pages hasn't changed.

I know. But url's like <a href="../mirrors.htm">mirrors page<a> are broken if a user goes to xfree86.cygwin.com. This needs to be
fixed one of three ways.

1) turn xfree86.cygwin.com off
2) redo the whole site replace "../mirrors.htm" & similar with "http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.htm"
3) make the xfree86.cygwin.com return a 301 or 302 HTTP status line & a Location header which will send browsers to
"http://www.cygwin.com/xfree86"

> When I mentioned using cygwin.com I really meant that if you are referring to
> the cygwin project I'd prefer going using cygwin.com.  You can do what you
> like with your web page, of course.

I understood it the way you describe it. The issue I am referring to is a corollary of moving from a sub-dir on every alias to a
domain prefix on one or more alias's.. We currently refer to cygwin.com & sources.redhat.com/cygwin by relative paths, not by
absolute URL's. This is much more convenient for mirror sites, and when using aliases (such as cygwin.com &
sources.redhat.com/cygwin).

I don't want to switch to absolute URL's unless there is a recognised benefit. Suhaib may want the ease of reference for other users
that xfree86.cygwin.com may bring - so it's his choice.

Rob