Re: Explanation of Shadow Framebuffer Test 7 vs. (old) Offscreen Test 7

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 12:49:13PM -0500, Harold Hunt wrote:
>>There is a story behind Cygwin/Xfree86 project.
>
>Heh... I have three reason for working on this project and two of them is
>similar to Suhaib's reasons.
>1) When I was in my introduction to computer science course at Carnegie
>Mellon I wanted to use an X server on my Windows machine to display X apps
>running on the computers in the lab.  I wanted to use my Windows machine
>because it had a nicer mouse than my Linux machine, plus then I wouldn't
>have to juggle keyboards and mice all over the place when I wanted to run X
>apps.  I looked for a free Windows X server but the only one I found was
>pretty worthless.  Ever since then it has been a goal of mine to give all
>the engineering and computer science students out there a free Windows X
>server so they don't have to go to the computer labs :)
>
>2) My second goal is world domination for Linux, of course :)  Honestly.
>Linux needs a killer app, but once it gets that killer app it needs a method
>to slowly penetrate corporate networks.  With a free Windows X server an IT
>manager can give all the Windows users the killer app without having to
>switch the workstations from Windows to GNU/Linux/KDE/Gnome.  After several
>months/years the people using the killer app will wonder why they can't just
>have their KDE/Gnome desktop from the X server on their primary computer.
>That's when corporate workstations start switching to GNU/Linux.  :)
>
>3) Commercial Windows X servers for are overpriced.

Interestingly enough, my reasons for wanting to sponsor this project are
similar to Harold's and Suhaib's.

I would like to see this project have some effect on the commercial
X-on-Windows vendors who are charging an arm and a leg for their efforts.
I also would (maybe paradoxically) like to see linux take over everywhere.

It also seems (seemed) that the lack of an open-source effort for Windows
was long overdue.

So, I'm really excited by the progress in this project.  Keep it up guys!

cgf