RE: Cygwin XFree86 Error

I will answer your questions.  If Rob feels like they worth FAQ, he can put
them.

> / Suhaib Siddiqi <ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com> wrote:
> | I think there are notes in FAQ.  About "Can I use the
> Cygwin/XFree86 with
> | MSVC DLLs?"
> | The answer refers the user to go to
> http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11.
>
> MMhm but how do I know that the msvc-DLLs are the ones in Xwin32..
>
> I have learnt whats the difference, but not through reading the FAQ or
> looking around at the site..
>
> Maybe a question like
>
> "Whats the difference between Win32-X11, Cygwin X11,
> shadowbetas, XGGI.."

The differences are

Cygwin/Xfree86 is a Xfree86 source code base ported to Windows using Cygwin.
Advatange a lot of this like xterm and LBDX which cannot be compiled with
MSVC.  Disadvantage underlying UNIX emulation layer (Cygwin1.dll) does
compromise performance.

> Win32-X11 Compiled with Visual c++
>         Why use, why not.. who maintains?? Where to get info
>         Nothing we want to see.. ? :-)

For the folks who does not want Cygwin1.dll.  It is based upon X COnsortium
code.
thatis no extra features and enhancements added by Xfree86 to base
X11R6.x.x.
A lot of X applications are compiled using MSVC and X11.dll for MSVC.  Here
you have whole set of X11R6.5.11
and a server which does not depend of UNIX emulation layer.  Therefore it
has several advantages.
I maintain it, as I maintain Cygwin/Xfree86 project too.  You get Win32-X11
infor
from http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11.

> Cygwin X86 Compiled with cygwin's gcc
>         It is the best, no reason to not use, guys maintaining
>         and using it can be found in cygwin-xfree@...

same guy who started Cygwin/Xfree86 can be found at Win32-X11 too. GCC has
advatanges
so does MSVC too.

> Shadowbetas: CygwinX86 tests to get something working..

The aim is to get a stable server which would work on all Windows OS.

> XGGI:
>         Old unmaintained.. any special reason for using this?

Not maintained any more because XF86 works now. Too many under lying
emulation layers
cygwin --> GGI --> GII --> DirectX ---> finally X. Only reason to play with
it if you
are a fan of GGI, in that case you can takeover that project and contribute.

Suhaib