Keycodes

Hello,

Since there are more and more questions about the keymaps on the list,
I wanted to say that the current way of mapping keys is imho not the
one expected from X.

X should return only the scancodes of the keys, not the symbol.

eg. pressing the key "a" should result in sending the keycode 38,
which is then mapped to the keysym 0x61 (a), XWin returs keycode 71,
and maps this to keysym 0x61 (a).

If Xwin is running standalone, there is no problem. But as soon as
you connect to a remote system, which sets a special modmap (eg. the
german keymap), the mapping is completely strange. The default keymap
expects for keycode 71 the key "F5". If you try xkeycaps on Xwin, you
will see that the keycodes are not mapped to the correct keys (not symbols).

If we return the correct keycodes, the modmaps from linux will work for
xwin too.

Since i now got X to build, I will investigate the keycode problem and
hope to provide a fix, which is closer to the linux X server.

bye
    ago
http://www.gotti.org
+49 3725 3498080