XWin95 & fonts

Hi everybody.

I'm quite new to cygwin/xfree86, but it seems to me that I did something
wrong, or missed something in the xfree86 installation process.

I downloaded the 4.0.3 binaries, and installed them in d:\cygwin. I
mounted d:\cygwin to /, so that xfree86 is in /usr/X11R6.

I then tried to start xfree86 with the startwin.bat script (and then
manually, using XWin95 -screen 0 1024x768x16), and I always get the same
error message

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

The fonts are installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, and if I remove
them the x server complains about not being able to add the font paths,
so I guess that I put the fonts in the proper location. I installed all
the binary packages (DLL, Win, devel, fonts, programs, twm, xterm, ...).

Could anyone help me with that ? If I try to specify another default
font with -fn I get the same problem, and of course I checked to be sure
that the 'fixed' font is in the fonts/misc directory.

I wanted to change a few settings in the XF86Config file, but couldn't
figure where to put it (/etc/X11 seemed to have no effect).

Hope to hear from you soon.

Laurent Pinchart