Nothing happens after startxwin

Hi,
First, let me say I am a first time user of Cygwin/XFree86 but have
experience using UNIX . I installed the latest binaries on a Win2K box and
had no problems during installation. The tools all seem to be working fine
but when I tried to start the X server using startxwin.bat, the server
starts OK but none of the xapps started after XWin comes up. Here's XWin
results:

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
pwin->width = 00000400
pwin->height = 00000300
pwin->paddedWidth = 00000800
pwin->bitsPerPixel = 00000010
calling winAllocateFramebufferMemory
calling cfb16ScreenInit( 0a017f40, 23580000, 00000400, 00000300, 00000064,
00000064, 00000400 )
Successful addition of Screen 0xa018128 0xa017f40
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Switch: 0xa017f40, 0xa0203b0

I looked thru the archives and tried repeating the commands one by one from
either a DOS cmd window or a bash window with no success. I can ping
127.0.0.1 fine and the hosts file exists with an entry for 127.0.0.1 as
expected. When I try to bring up an xterm window, I get msg that can't open
display.

 I also checked tcp properties and am not using IPSEC. I noticed someone
else had similar problem but didn't see a solution. Any idea why display
can't be opened even when I am able to ping localhost? Other suggestions?

Thanks, Leo