RE: Possibly incorrect explanation of how WaitForSomething works (and how to fix it) [RC and CGF please comment]

> I thought cygwin had fd support for keyboard and mouse? If it doesn't,
> then my suggestion would be: write it.

> Just to be difficult: why not pthreads? mutex's, condition variables,
> thread specific data, limited scheduling (soon to be much
> more) are all
> present in snapshots at the moment.

Hmm... I didn't think of that because my idea is to make the X/Server
independent of Cygwin, so that it can be installed easily and without
worrying about duplicate copies of cygwin1.dll, etc.  However, I want to
keep the XLibs dependent upon Cygwin so that local clients will require
minimal porting, if any.

Thus, my development efforts have centered around using only Win32 API
calls.  I haven't written a function yet that make a Cygwin API call.

It would be possible, and perhaps beneficial to some, to write an X/Server
for Windows that is completely intertwined and dependent on Cygwin... but
that's not an itch I have, so I won't be scratching it :)

In any case, everything you suggested was stuff I hadn't thought of, and
some of your suggestions were things that I hadn't even known existed
(/dev/keyboard, etc.); knowing about these things will probably come in
handy in the future should I do some *nix system-level programming or if I
give up on my idea of making the X/Server independent of Cygwin :)

Thanks for the feedback,