Re: "Cannot open display" or XDMCP problem ?

Christopher,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:45:21PM -0700, Enoch Wu wrote:
> >Hey my friend. Check your environment variable OS. Is it empty?
> >If not, export OS="" in .bashrc.  After that restart cygwin and
> >run startxwin.bat from bash.
>
> I missed this particular "solution" to this problem.
>
> Who is actually using this "OS" environment variable?  Cygwin certainly
> isn't using it.  Is the X Server using it?  If so, it is not a very
> reliable method for determining OS type.
>
> Apologies if this has all already been explained.  Feel free to ignore
> me, if so.
>
> cgf

On our LAN all workstations have OS=WIN95 or WINDOWS_NT or SOLARIS or AIX
types.  Apparently, Novell or the admin decided OS="" is not acceptable.

Startxwin.bat uses OS="" which I caught by chance.  Since then I have put
an export OS="" in .bashrc.  Bingo, Harold's XWin95 came up. How exciting!

So I've been telling those with "Can't open display" problem to check
their environment variable OS.

Subsequently, I have been educated by the Cygwin XFree86 developers that
the "Can't open display" symptom could result from a number of wrinkles -
XDMP,Unix sockets, networking weirdness, and in my case the OS environment
variable.

EW