Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 21

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Pierre Muller wrote:

>    I have still some strange things, but these might well be due to my lack
> of knowledge
> of X programs.
>
>    2) The xterm window that I open with the menu that I get
> when pressing on left button while on background behaves differently
> from the one started by the startxwin.bat file:
>     Arrow keys do not retrieve history of commands and file completion also
> does
> not work. I have no idea which option does allow or disable these features...

The history is not an xterm feature but a feature ot the running shell.
One xterm is running /bin/bash, the other /bin/sh. One solution is the
add the options "-e /bin/bash" the the xterm command. I don't know where to
find the twm configuration file "system.twmrc" but I expect it to in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm/system.twmrc. In this file you have to change the
line
"Xterm"         f.exec "exec xterm &"
"Xterm"         f.exec "exec xterm -e /bin/bash &"

>   3) I write myself program for console mode using termcap escape codes,
> these program might be buggy in the sense that the use alternate fonts
> but might forget to disable them on exit.
>     On other telnet client this does not seem to be a problem,
> but under xterm from CygFreeX86 I end up with
> chars being changed after I have run this program:
>
> The prompt from bash is changed from:
> [muller@demeter compiler]$
> into
> (Capital A with " on top)muller(paragraph sign)demeter compiler(Capital U
> with " on top)$

You selected another charset. So the behavior is normal. the command
reset should reset the font.

> All what is inside one () is the explanation of a single char, as I wasn't
> sure that this would be
> correctly read by different email clients !

http://www.gotti.org
+49 3725 3498080