RE: Building xserver

> Ok, let's try again. Here are some error messages:
>
> 1) no rules for objetive `distclean'
> 2) no rules for objetive `clean'
> 3) no rules for objective `libutil/?*.o', neccessary for
> `libGLU.dll'.
> 4) no rules for objective `libnurbs/internals/?*.o', neccessary for
> `libGLU.dll'.
> 5) no rules for objective `libnurbs/interface/?*.o', neccessary for
> `libGLU.dll'.
> 6) no rules for objective `libnurbs/nurbtess/?*.o',  neccessary for
> `libGLU.dll'.
> 7) `all' not built in `/xc/lib/GLU'

Ok.  This one I need to fix in xc/lib/Imakefile.  Under cygwin the make does
not
go down to subdirectories.  It needs to be fixed.  I have not gotten time
for it lately but will be fixed sometimes very soon.  For now what you can
do
cd to each subdirectory in xc/lib/GLU and type make then cd back to
xc/lib/GLU and type
make, you will have libGLU.dll compiled.

> 8) In `/xc/programs/xdm'
>      daemon.c: In function `BecomeOrphan':
>      daemon.c:104: too many arguments to function `setpgrp'
>      daemon.c: In function `BecomeDaemon':
>      daemon.c:130: too many arguments to function `setpgrp'
>      daemon.c:121: warning: unused variable `i'
>      make[4]: *** [daemon.o] Error 1
>      and so `all' not built in this directory

Are yu using Cygwin 1.1.8 or April 14th or later snapshot.  you need
April 14th or later, snapshot for compilation because of changes in headers.

> 9) in '/xc/programs/xfs/os'
>       daemon.c: In function `BecomeOrphan':
>       daemon.c:96: too many arguments to function `setpgrp'
>       daemon.c: In function `BecomeDaemon':
>       daemon.c:124: too many arguments to function `setpgrp'
>       daemon.c:112: warning: unused variable `i'
>       make[5]: *** [daemon.o] Error 1
>      and so `all' not built in this directory
> 10) `all' not built in `/xc/programs/xfs/difs' but here only
> spot warnings
>
> 11) in `/xc/programs/xload':
>       get_load.c:56: nlist.h: No such file or directory
>       make[4]: *** [get_load.o] Error 1
>       `all' not built in this directory

Forget about it.  I mention it several times.  Cygwin does not support
nlstype.h
therefore you are out of luck here.

> 12) in `/xc/programs/xterm'
>      gcc -o resize.exe -O2 -fno-strength-reduce
> -fpcc-struct-return -m486
> -Wall
>      -L../../exports/lib resize.o xstrings.o  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -ltermcap
>      resize.o(.text+0x4f9):resize.c: undefined reference to
> `_imp__tgetent'

link -lncurses and you should be fine, you can add -lncurses to Makefile or
to cygwin.cf in that case you need to compile everything from scratch.

>       collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>       make[4]: *** [resize.exe] Error 1
>       this seems to be what precludes `xterm' from building
> 13) gcc: miext/shadow/libshadow.a: No such file or directory
>       make[4]: *** [XWin.exe] Error 1

That was a bug in Imakefile from Harold ;-)  It does not descend to
xc/programs/Xserver/os/miext/shadow.
I will fix it.  For now cd to xc/programs/Xserver/os/miext/shadow and type
make
then cd back to xc/programs/Xserver/ and type XWin.exe you should be fine.

>      this may be related to the following messages:

Yes and no.  The problems were due to errors in Imakefile as I mentioned
above.