Windows ME - Unable to connect to server

Configuration

Windows ME system with Cygwin and XFree installed as of
Saturday.

Problem

I receive "unable to connect to server" messages from both
xterm and twm.  When I start up X, I get a root window and the
mouse can move the cursor.  Buttons do not pop up menus, nor
are there any other items displayed in the X window.  Best
guess is that this is the root window behavior from a manager-less
X server.

What I've Tried

I've tried starting from both bash via startx and from the
explorer via startxwin.bat.  Sadly, the /B option to the start
command isn't implemented in Windows ME DOS commands, so I cannot
get the message dumps while running in ME.

Starting Via Startxwin.bat

I startup the file and the script creates a full sized X root
window.  I believe that both the xterm and twm DOS windows have
error messages, but the /B option doesn't work and I've not been
able to read the messages fast enough.  ( Once in a while, I do
find myself longing for the days of 20Mhz 386 systems, but I
digress)  I then bounced over to cygwin and tried to manually
invoke twm

twm -display 127.0.0.1:0.0
twm: unable to open display "127.0.0.1:0.0"

I can telnet to 127.0.0.1, port 6000 without receiving a
connection refused message, so at some level the socket
code seems to be working.

Starting via startx

The root window appears.  I see the usual startup messages
and then see the following message:

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .

..  < a bunch of lines of this form

after a while, the program times out and exits with the message

giving up.
xinit:  The descriptor is a file, not a socket (errno 108):
unable to connecto to % server

waiting for X server to shut down

xinit:  Server error.

At this point the root window goes away.

Kevin Nolish
<mailto:kevin.nolish@marconi.com>