startx problem

I just downloaded the lastest binaries, and installed as documented in the
user guide, but I am having problems using startxwin.bat and startx.
My problem appears to the same one Ken posted to this list  (subject:
startx) about a month ago. I did not see a resolution to the problem on that
thread.
I'll talk about startx since I get some output. It looks like the server is
starting up. I get a grey box, and ps -ef shows it running. However, xinit
keeps printing an error message ".... accept failed". Of course, everything
I try to run (i.e. xterm ) complains about which display to use.
I was getting some errors/warning out of xinit. One about the CIDs fonts
missing, and one about the SecurityPolicy file missing. These were not
listed as required downloads so I did not grab them at first. After
downloading and installing the CIDs fonts, that error message goes away. I
grab the SecurityPolicy file I noticed with the another tar.bz2 files. With
that SecurityPolicy file installed, xinit gives an error/warning about the
SecurityPolicy file being the wrong version. I don't know if that has
anything to do with my real problem.
I am using Windows 98 SE.

Thanks in advance,
Doug