Cygwin\XFree86 missing DLL, libz.dll

I just installed Cygwin and Xfree86.  When I run "startx" from bash I get
the following error message at the command line:

$ startx

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

And a window pops up with the title "XWin.exe - Unable to Locate DLL".  The
message says "The dynamic link libary libz.dll could not be found in the
specified path"  Then gives all the paths.  I did a search and found
libz.dll.a in c:\cygwin\lib so I included it in the path in /etc/profile.

Has any one else had this problem?  Any help would be much appreciated.