out of environment space

I have been trying to use cygwin-xfree86 on my Windows 98 machine.  I
use startwxin.bat by opening it in Windows, as directed in the FAQ, but
I get the message "out of environment space" twice in the console
window.  Presumably, this refers to the two "set" commands at the
beginning of the .bat file.

Also, as the .bat file continues to execute, there's a message that "/B"
is an invalid switch for the "start" command.  I checked my Windows 98
reference and there is no "/B" switch mentioned for the "start" command.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions about either or both of these
problems.

Thanks.

Michael Inman
mvinman@pacbell.net