RE: Backticks in 4.1.0

> Here is some iteresting info.
>
> I switched to a different keyboard, and the problem went away.
> Unclear whether I have a faulty keyboard, or whether my keyboard
> generates events that are misrepresented by xfree.
>
> In an off-the-list exchange with Suhaib, I noticed that the spurious
> backticks were reported by xev as pairs of KeyPress and KeyRelease
> events occurring at exactly the same time.
>
> These events do not seem to bother any other application.  Most
> applications depend on Windows for their event processing, but some,
> like NT-emacs, do intercept the keyboard and mouse events, if I'm not
> mistaken.
>
> Also, the rather terse user's guide says that my keyboard has
> "advanced power management features."  From what I understand of
> keyboards, that would require the BIOS to send some commands to the
> keyboard, which is very unlikely to contain its own timer.  The
> keyboard, in turn, may send back an ack.
>
> I have no evidence that this is indeed what's going on.  Someone with
> more experience of these issue may correct me.  I'm just trying to
> argue that to my untutored eye it's not clear whether it's looking at
> a broken keyboard, lack of proper event masking, lack of software
> keyboard debouncing (less likely), or something else.
>
> For the record, the "noisy" keyboard is a Dell natural keyboard from
> 1998.  The one I swapped for it is a MS natural keyboard, unknown
> vintage, but probably a bit older.

Fabio

I was about to suggest buy a new keyboard, but I decided to keep my mouth
shut ;-)

Last year when I was doing beta testing fro Red Hat for RH Linux 7.0, one of
the Dell keyboard drove me nut.  It was also Dell Quietkey keyboard on Dell
PowerEdge Server.  It was a strange behavior.  After starting Xserver the
mouse and keyboard was doing bizzare things, but if I diconnected keyboard,
after starting x server, then connected again, it started behaving..... well
I guess Dell made of the Quietkey keyboards so quiet that they do some
strange things QUIETLY ;-)

Thanks for info.

Suhaib