RE: Info on "Can't open display"

> I'm in the same boat as you.  I probably wouldn't care too
> much about this
> except that I need to use Aventail to access my employer's
> network.  I work
> 100% at a customer site for my job and don't even have an
> office at any of
> my employer's sites to use on occasion.  Therefore, I use it
> from home and
> at the customer's site to access my employer's intranet.  I'm
> stuck.  And
> I'm sure as hell not going to buy a full license for a
> commercial X package.
>
> Anyway, what I did was add xterm.exe, twm.exe, xclock.exe,
> etc. in the
> "Secure all applications except listed" list.  This is on the
> Advanced tab
> in the Aventail config tool.

This could not be a lot of work?  There are around 16-20 xlcients
which are supplied with XFree86.  If Aventail is screwing up every
X11 display and forwarding, either locally or remote, then it is
annoying because you will need to edit your exceptions list every
time you use X.  Then again it goes back to Aventail being the culprit.
I do not have this problem with CheckPoint SecureRemote to access my
company's interanet from home.  Now why CheckPoint does not screw up
the X11 display and Aventail does.
For local PC firewall, ZoneLab's ZoneAlaram was screwing display just like
your Aventail does, even after adding to exceptions list, some clients
were still refused connection, particularly ZoneAlaram was screwing Vi over
very good.  On the other hand TinyFriewall from TinySoftware does not have
this problem.  My argument is Xfree86 works with one VPN and/or Firewall
and other VPN/Firewall will screw the display, so is it not the VPN/Firewall
software fault????

Suhaib