RE: X server won't start in win95a

> The only thing I have noticed so far between the working and the
> non-working win95 systems is that the non-working one has winsock
> upgraded, to version 2 I believe. Don't know if this is relevant, just
> another tidbit for you to consider.
>
> Thank you, Suhaib and Harold, for all your efforts. Although I have 2
> non-working installations, I have 4 working ones, 1 win95a, 1 win98, 2
> w2k. I must say they look good.
>
> I am going to wipe out win95 on one of the non-working machines and
> install win98, and then cygwin and X. We'll see what happens. I still
> have the other non-working machine to try out your new suggestions,
> including possibly reinstalling networking, if that is felt to be the
> most likely cause.

Winsock2 can be problem here.  When winsock2 was released as an optional
package for Windows95, I remember installing then replacing it with Winsock
which shipped with Win95.  Because it
was giving problems on Windows95.

If you uninstall Networking from Control Panel and reinstall it using your
Windows95, Winsock2 will be replaced with Winsock from Win95 CD.  It might
help.  Let us know.

Suhaib