Nedit causes fatal error on X server

If you run nedit, the X server immediately exits with the following error
message:

Fatal server error:
Negative sized edge?

Presumably clients should not be able to crash the server.  (Nedit does not
crash Exceed).

Nedit was running on SunOS 5.6 on a Sun Sparc.  I don't know the version of
Xwin, but it was downloaded about a week ago.  The index.html contains the
date 9 Feb 1999.  The created timestamp on Xwin.exe is 16 July 2000,
modified on 17 June 2001.

I tried capturing the core dump, but although it said it was dumping to
XWin.exe.stackdump, that file was never created.

 -- Nigel Hathaway