Re: 4.1.0: XDMCP query to Solaris hangs

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Roy Razon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I successfuly used a demo version of a commercial X Server to launch a CDE
> session from my NT to my Solaris and AIX boxes.
>
> I installed XFree86 4.1.0 and now, although I can manually start an xterm
> window, I can't start a CDE session on the Solaris box. The same
> configuration works with the AIX box.
>
> This works - brings up the CDE login:
> XWin -ac -screen 0 640x480x16 -query AIXHostName -from MyPC
>
> This doesn't work - brings up a black screen, displays a wait cursor and
> hangs:
> XWin -ac -screen 0 640x480x16 -query SolarisHostName -from MyPC
>
> After a while XWin outputs the following message:
> XDM: too many keepalive retransmissions, declaring session dead
> and then the session is restarted and hangs again.
>
> Configuration of the Solaris 5.8 box:
>
> xhost on Solaris says "access control disabled, clients can connect from any
> host".

xhost is only needed for the xserver (the host with the display). The xdmcp
server doesn't check the xhost settings.

> /usr/dt/config/Xaccess contains:
> *                       # grant service to all remote displays
> *               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

please try adding lines for the windows PC
MyPC
MyPC  CHOOSER BROADCAST

> /usr/dt/config/Xservers contains:
> :0   Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner

This  is just for the local display (the monitor connected to the solaris box)

> It seems like a configuration problem on the Solaris or a bug in XFree86.
> Anything I overlooked?

Please try running xdm in debugmode (xdm -debug 5) and compare the results
form aix and solaris. Maybe this will show the problem.

bye
    ago
--
Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de