RE: installing xfree

Hello,

today, I ran into the same problem and fixed it by installing Xfnts.tgz
manually.

   cd /usr/X11R6
   tar -xf Xfnts.tar

and startxwin.bat starts well. The font files are identical (compare with diff)
but the files encodings.dir and fonts.dir are (very) different. Or execute

   tar -xf Xfnts.tar lib/X11/fonts/misc/*.dir

after Xinstall.sh has finished.

mkfontdir is executed in Xinstall.sh for /local and /misc.  Before this is done,
XWin.exe starts.  Hence, mkfontdir causes the trouble.

Frank