X server fails to create window

Hi

I have lately installed XFree on my cygwin installation, and now the X
server falis to create a window (it does start, and listen on port 6000, I
haven't tried attaching clients, though).

When I run 'startxwin9x.bat' I get a couple of console window opened (as
expected - for each 'start', I figure). Specifically the one that runs
XWin has rthe following output:

)( ddxProcessArgument
ddxProcessArgument () - screen - argc: 4 i: 1
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000017
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient width 800 height 600
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - MapWindowPoints () failed
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - lPitch: 3200
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 32
)( winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap

At this point I can see that there is something that listens on port 6000.
When I press Ctrl-C in that console window it soon closes, and netstat no
longer shows that someone listens on port 6000.

my startwin9x.bat:
------
@echo off
set CYGWIN=c:\cygwin
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
SET PATH=%CYGWIN%\bin;%CYGWIN%\usr\X11R6\bin;%PATH%

attrib -s %CYGWIN%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del %CYGWIN%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
rmdir %CYGWIN%\tmp\.X11-unix

start XWin -screen 0 800x600x16
start xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg yellow -bg black -e /usr/bin/bash
start twm
------

Running 'XWin.exe' from the bash prompt seem to give the same result (give
or take complaints about /tmp/.X11-unix ownership)

My system: win98se, latest standard cygwin (currently cygwin 1.3.2-1).
XFree is also generally the latest "stable" from the mirrors. I have also
tried replacing XWin.exe with test39 . No change.

Before installing the newely-packaged XFree, I had XFree working on the
same system.

Any ideas? Anything else I should check?

Also: while sending a message to the list: Is there any good reason why
the X libs and X clients are not part of the standard cygwin distro?
Aren't they stable enough? Those clients can be used with other X servers
(either commercial ones, or the little WeirdX which is about as free as
XFree).

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il