RE: xinit working (no more startxwin.bat)

> (sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't see anything in the archives)
>
> Firstly, I have Cygwin/X11 running (I had to untar Xfnts manually to
> get
> round the 'fixed' font problem) and I'm very impressed. Although, I
> thought the whole 'startxwin.bat' thing was a bit klunky mainly
> because
> the xterm and twm fail to find the server because it doesn't get a
> chance to start before they run.
>
> So, I tried running 'xinit' from within a Cygwin bash prompt but I got
> some memory error from cygwin (version 1.3.2):
>
> 	c:\bin\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space
> for cygwin's heap (0x27B0000) in child, cygheap, Win32 error 487

ALWAYS post your Operating System. ARE YOU ON A BEAT WINDOWS VERSION, i.e.
WINDOWS XP? It is not fully supported by Cygwin yet, because there no sense
in supporting a BETA operating system.

> So I created the following batch file (and called it
> /usr/X11/bin/XWin-start):

I see no reasons, why XWin-start batch file will work. You can name your
batch file Godzilla or President Bush or Bill Clinton, whatever you can
think off, and wont make any difference.... the commands in bash file are
the one which works...

> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	cmd.exe /c XWin.exe -screen 0 800x600x32 -engine 4

huh?

> And did
> 	ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin-start /usr/X11R6/bin/X

huh?  I am not sure what are you doing?

Suhaib