Re: Cygwin-Xfree-Opendx Question

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 06:35:56PM -0400, Harold Hunt wrote:
>> Just use the mount -f option:
>>
>> mount -f -b c:\cygwin /
>>
>> I realize that this is Windows and that everyone loves pointy clicky but
>> having people rerun setup.exe seems like total overkill to me.
>
>The primary problem with that method is that it requires the documenter to
>describe a method of listing the current mount point paths (might be
>z:\foo\bar\baz\shazz\cyg\cygwin instead of c:\cygwin) and how to remount
>them.  That takes quite a bit more documentation and produces many more
>caveats than simply telling the user to run setup.exe.
>
>Perhaps a simple utility for changing the mount mode of all Cygwin mounts
>would be in order, or perhaps the functionality could be added to 'mount'.
>Just a thought... I know I haven't got time to do it.  Would anyone like to
>volunteer?

How about thinking about this from the UNIX point of view?  Just write a
script to do uhis.  Iterate over the mount options and change any text
mounts to binary.

I understand what you are saying about the simplicity of telling people to
use setup but setup is not a panacea.  If you tell people how to run mount,
you've taught them something valuable.  It's not just a black box setup.exe
option.

I really really detest the "I was having problems so I just wiped out
everything and reinstalled" Windows mentality.  I know that you are not
telling people to do that but I think it could easily be misinterpreted
that way.

Also, running setup.exe does not necessarily change every applicable mount.
If they have /usr/X11R6 (or whatever) mounted somehow then setup.exe will
not touch it.

cgf