RE: installation problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

Robert,

> It worked by following instruction to change my Cygwin
> mount type to binary. I followed the installation
> instructions before. Perhaps in new installation
> instruction, you could mention binary/text mount type.

It is mentioned, see step 7:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-installing.html

> Before I sent out Email for help, I searched FAQ page
> from Cygwin/XFree86 site, but I clicked the more
> obvious link on the left side: Documentation | FAQ
> link (http://xfree86.cygwin.com/faq.html), and could
> not find the answer there. I guess initially a person
> would not know there is another FAQ after finding one.
> I gave it up after searching through the 1st FAQ.

That is intentional.

> Cannot find the file 'mxterm' (or one of its
> components) Make sure the path and filename are
> correct and that all required library  are available.

That's because the sample startup scripts attempt to start two optional
components (mxterm and vtwm).  I might eventually get around to cleaning up
the startup scripts so that they only use default components, but the
quickest way to get something done around here is...