Re: XWin Won't Run Without -screen Option

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

Sorry Suhaib that I sent it the first to you and not to the list (bad habids
:).

> Did you ever read startx scripts, and various scripts in rc.d?

I use gdm (the GNOME version of xdm) and I agree in most scripts the display
is explicitly given but it is optional.

> I will let you investigate this how default gets set to :0 on linux even if
> you do use X :0.

I did test it yesterday and you can leave the display number away and then it
will default to number zero.
On my Red Hat 6.2 installation I did the following as root:
% telinit 3  # switch to non GUI mode
% X
and the Xserver fired up without any problems.
Like you said I also did some reading of the man page of Xserver on SUNOS 5.6,
HPUX 10.20 and linux. And they seem to take a default diplay number of zero if
no number is given. Unfortunately I can't test it on HPUX and SUN because I
don't have root permission on these machines. The man page on SUN and linux
are even the same, so I assume these are the default MIT X man pages.

greets,
Staf.

|Staf Verhaegen (staf.verhaegen@imec.be) |ADRESS: IMEC vzw. - ASP/LITHO|
|tel: 016/ 281 783                       |        Kapeldreef 75        |
|fax: 016/ 281 214                       |        3001 Leuven (Belgium)|
 For every tool there are at least 2 uses: the one it was designed for
                 and the other for which it wasn't.