RE: XDMCP on notebook with docking station

Stefan,

> Apparently XWin.exe tries to connect via the unused Xircom PCMCIA
> NIC, even if the notebook uses the other NIC.  Since I receive
> my IP adress via DHCP, the above solution will not work generally,
> due to the fact that the IP number changes each time I log on,
> so I need to edit the command line.

Cygwin/XFree86 takes a guess as to which network card's address to use when
doing XDMCP, and in your case it is guessing wrong.  One possible solution
is to just use your hostname on the 3COM network, rather than the ip
address.

You could write a startup script that pulls the IP address for a particular
card (by looking for the MAC address) from the 'ipconfig' (or some other
utility if you don't have Windows NT/2000) program using a regular
expression passed to 'grep'.  However, you'll be on your own writing such a
script, as it is way beyond the scope of this mailing list.

Good luck,