Setting a Norwegian keyboard on cygwin-xfree86

Platform: Win2k, CygWin 1.3.2, cygwin-xfree86 4.1.0

When I start up XFree86, everything works fine, except
the keyboard mapping.  I have a Norwegian keyboard,
but XFree86 behaves as if the keyboard has a US
layout.

Since there is no XF86Config file on cygwin-xfree,
I can't do an XKbLayout setting.  On linux this
setting is today usually inherited from the
loadkeys setting, but there doesn't seem to
be a loadkeys program on cygwin.

Is cygwin and/or cygwin-xfree86 supposed to pick
up the keyboard setting from Windows?  If, so, it
doesn't (there's an icon with the text "NO" sitting
at the lower right of my task bar, but neither
cygwin bash, or X application seems to know
my Norwegian keys).

I've searched the net, but the only relevant referance
I found, was to www.gotti.org.

However this site describes using xmodmap to change
the keyboard layout, as far as I can tell.
And that seems like a step backward.

I've found a Danish keyboard xmodmap file that I can
use if this is the only way (I've tried it, and it
sort of works.  The result is closer than the US
layout, at least...:-) ).

But I'll use it only if it is the only way.  Is it?

Thanx!

- Steinar

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.