Screen numbers

Is there any way of checking what screen numbers are already in use, so
I can pass the next screen number to XWin.exe?

I have now finished my minimal install and script that starts an XDM
client on a Windows machine.  Including all the requred components
(assuming both a XDM and font server on the linux box) it takes up 5.8MB
uncompressed, and 1.9MB compressed in tgz format.

See my (very new and rough) homepage for details at
http://www.users.bigpond.com/rasjidw/

I guess this is also an appropriate time to find out if there are any
formalities in doing this kind of thing.  I've been informed that
XFree86 is not actually GPL, but the MIT license.  Can someone tell me
the best license to put my script under in the circumstances?

Cheers,

Rasjid.

PS.  I posted an verion of this email to the list earlier, but it didn't
seem to get through.