Screen numbers

Is there any way of checking what screen numbers are already in use, so
I can pass the next screen number to XWin.exe?

I have now finished my minimal install and script that starts an XDM
client on a Windows machine.  Including all the requred components
(assuming both a XDM and font server on the linux box) it takes up 5.8MB
uncompressed, and
1.9MB compressed in tgz format.

See my (very new and rough) homepage for details at
http://www.users.bigpond.com/rasjidw/

I guess this is also an appropriate time to find out if there are any
formalities in doing this kind of thing.  Having just discovered
win32-x11, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time, although my solution is
quite a bit smaller.

Cheers,

Rasjid.