RE: backing store available?

Daniel,

Yes, there was just a discussion on the XFree86 devel list about why backing
store is not enabled by default, even if it is built into the server.

You can enable backing store support by adding the +bs parameter to your
XWin.exe command line, e.g.:
XWin +bs

Backing store support has been compiled into XWin.exe for some time now, but
I am not sure when it showed up exactly.  You can download the latest server
if your version does not have it enabled:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/shadow/

Also, you can verify that backing store is operational, after adding the +bs
parameter, by running 'xdpyinfo'.  You should see the following line in the
output from xdpyinfo:

Thank you for your interest in our project,

Harold