From: Harold Hunt [mailto:huntharo@msu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 3:00 PM
To: Karr, David; cygwin-xfree@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: RE: startx fails with: could not open default font 'fixed'

David,

> First of all, the FAQ entry seems slightly wrong.  The paragraph on point
> "1" begins thusly:
>
>    Using Xinstall.sh to install Cygwin/XFree86 on a text-mode Cygwin mount
> rather than binary-mode mount. You will
>    need to change your default Cygwin mount mode to binary-mode and rerun
> the Xinstall.sh script ...

Remember to read the sentence right before that:

There are two known ways of installing the fonts that causes the end of line
characters to be incorrect: Using Xinstall.sh to install Cygwin/XFree86 on a
text-mode Cygwin mount rather than binary-mode mount.

> If I understand this correctly, the first sentence should have "text-mode"
> and "binary-mode" reversed.

Nope.  You didn't read everything in the question/answer.

> Now, on the alternative idea of "manually ungziping and untarring", what
> exactly do I ungzip and untar, and where do I put it?  The FAQ
> entry refers
> to using a non-Cygwin-aware unpacker, like "Winzip", which I
> don't presently
> have

Oh man.  Now I know that you aren't reading everything.  Question/Answer 6.3
specifically says NOT to use Winzip.

You really have to read more carefully.