cut & paste

Hi,

thanks to those who responded to my original email and directed me to
xwinclip.exe to gain cut & paste functionality for cygwin/xfree86.

I have downloaded the binary and made the changes as per instructions but I
can not get it to work.  When I try to run xwinclip.exe I get the following
message:

could not open display.

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks