Re: Two questions

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, ted byers wrote:

> > I don't understand what you want. I can only guess that you want to close
> > the windows in xfree with alt-f4. This does NOT work by default. You can
> > of cause modify the behaviour of the window manager but this requires a
> > lot of manual reading.
>
> Not exactly.  I was thinking only of using alt-f4 on what you identify as
> the cmd window in which bash runs.  But this no longer works if I have run
> startxwin.sh from that window.  Also, if I have not run startxwin.sh, the
> cmd-window closes when I issue the command 'exit', but this TOO no longer
> works if I have run startxwin.sh.  But this does not happen if I have used
> startx.  It is this that I do not understand, and would like to fix.
>
> I guess you can tell I have not had to deal with this sort of issue before.
> THe last time I worked on unix, if I had problems like this, I'd just talk
> to the sys-admin, and he'd fix it.  :-)  I didn't even have to concern
> myself with shell scripts.  :-)

Oh, now I know what you mean. The problem is that bash had started some
child processes, which run in the background. If they are still running,
you can't close bash. If you shutdown XWin, then bash will exit and the
window will close. There is no other way which can avoid this.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017