Re: asynchronous popups hide key release

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 John_Tobey@notes.intdata.com wrote:

> One annoyance comes from the interaction with X and native Windows apps that run
> in the background and occasionally pop up a window to notify me of e.g. new
> mail.  If I happen to be typing and have a key down when the popup appears, X
> does not notice that I release the key, and it goes into auto repeat, sending
> dozens of keystroke messages to apps until I press another key with X in focus.

I hear rumors that some versions of tweakui have an option which prevents
other windows applications from "stealing" the focus, but I could not
verify this.

> IMHO, the X server should handle de-focus events (if there are such things?) by
> considering any keys are currently down to be released.  At the very least, it
> should disable autorepeat when it doesn't have focus.

You are welcome to code it. You can reuse parts of the code where we
release the control and alt keys on losing focus.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017