Re: cygwin-xfree: xdmcp: "no valid address"

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Mark Plowman wrote:

> Please excuse me for "barging-in", but my searchs of the 'net seem to
> indicate that you are (very) knowledgable on the above subject.

Please ask on the mailing list. The topic might be of interest for others
too. I also send the reply to the list.

> My searches in the cygwin-xfree mailing list archives have answered a
> few questions but left a few over:
>
> 1) Have I correctly accertained that cygwin has a problem with xdmcp
>    depending on the MS Windows version it is running on (Win 95, Win
>    98, 2000, NT etc)?

A recent mail revealed, that the "no valid address" error not only
occured on Win95 but also on WinNT. I also had this error on Win98.
On the other hand, for all Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT and Win2k we
had success report, so I would say this error does not depend on a
special windows version.

> 2) Is it now clear (with the currecnt cygwin-xfree version) which MS
>    Windows it *will* work with xdmcp?

All versions will work (I know nothing about WinXP, but it's not supported
by cygwin). But you might get an error. This error might be caused by
multiple network adapters (2 Ethernet cards or 1 Ethernet and one IRDA
interface or modem)

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017