Bad performance a common problem?

Hello,

I'm currently testing a 'minimal' installation of XFree86/Cygwin, using only cygwin1.dll, cygz.dll and Xwin.exe, getting everything (including fonts) from a Linux server.

It works as expected, but it's _unusable_ slow.

Does anyone know the reason and a possible solution [OS is Windows 95]?

I can rule out the server side issue, since performance is adequately fast when I use a Linux client with the same settings.

TIA, Tim

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp