Annoying DOS boxes when using startxwin.bat

I've just added functionality to send XWin.exe error messages to a log file,
therefore I have also changed XWin.exe from a DOS executable to a Windows
executable (by passing -mwindows -e _mainCRTStartup to gcc in link stage).
This change prevents XWin.exe from opening a DOS window for console output
when using startxwin.bat.

However, other programs in startxwin.bat, such as twm.exe, xterm.exe, and
xsetroot.exe will cause the window for startxwin.bat to stay open after
those programs have started.  One way to prevent this is to add the above
link flags to each of the X clients.  Another way would be to use
startxwin.sh instead of startxwin.bat; however, you will give up the
double-click start functionality if you choose that route.

So, I'm wondering what people think about passing those compilation flags to
each of the X clients.  I tried it with twm.exe and didn't notice any
adverse effect.

Alan, is there an easy way to pass those compilation flags to each X client,
like the EXTRA_LDOPTIONS that we use for XWin.exe?