Fwd: RE: Weird color!

Sorry, sent to wrong address. :)

Subject: RE: Weird color!
To: cygwin-xfree-owner@sources.redhat.com
From: Quek Hong Cheang <quekhc@altavista.com>
Date: 02 Oct 2001 17:37:19 PDT

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I am using 1024x768 true colors (24 bits).  Actually, when I got the color problem, I was using 1024x768 (256 colors) because if I use 24 bits, my cadence software will complaint that "it cannot handle 24 planes" or "cannot find appropriate visual class".  So, I switched to 256 colors and the program was ported over to my PC smoothly, except for the color problem.  I do not understand why, opening an xterm is OK, but the problem appears once my application program comes.  When the cursor is in program's window, the window background color turns into a very bright color of white, so white that it makes it very difficult to read the text. Then when the cursor is not in the window, it is a very dark shade of green, so dark that again, it makes reading difficult.

So, at first I tried : XWin -cc 3
to switch to pseudo colors, together with 24 bits of monitor color(it worked for VNC server), but it did not worked here.

So I tried : XWin -depth 8 -fullscreen.
The application can be ported over successfully even though my monitor is displaying 24bits of color, but the same color problem remains.  Have tried all methods with both twm and icewm, problem is the same. By the way, icewm has a really cool interface, bravo to the creator, but how I can make it go faster? :)

While I am at this problem, please don't mind answering another one. :)  I am still having problems with my XDMCP solaris 7 linkup. When I use :

XWin -screen 0 1024x768x24 -query sun_IP -from pc_IP

An XWin window appears and the cursor just hangs there, in a black color background. My Xaccess file contains :

* #any host can get a login window
* CHOOSER BROADCAST    #any indirect host can get a chooser

I have read a mail on exactly the same problem and the general solution was to modify the Xaccess or to use test45. Well, test45 does not seem to have worked for the person with the problem.  I have already modified Xaccess to the recommended format, but still the problem remains.

Please advise.

Thank you very much
Quek