RE: laptop connecting to a KDM server, worked yesterday, but not today

Harold Hunt wrote:

> First things first, Samba has nothing at all to do
> with this.

I thought maybe the debian machine did name resolution
through samba using WINS.

But you're right, it looks like the debian machine
has a normal DNS server in its /etc/resolv.conf.

[snip!]
> It doesn't seem that 172.21.206.140 and 172.21.150.71
> would be on the same local network, so there are
> likely all order of routers and reverse name servers
> between them.

I don't know the network topology around here yet,
but I don't think it is all that complicated.

And I think they use the same nameserver.

Routing between the machine works for both ping
and UDP on port 177 (XDMCP).

> It is possible that a hosts file was setup, and
> subsequently forgotten about, with the name to
> address mapping for 172.21.150.71; when the address
> changed the mapping no longer applied, thus
> kdm couldn't figure out the host name.

There's no entry for the laptop in the debian box'
/etc/hosts file.

[snip!]
> You have to assume that the message about reverse
> resolution is critical, as it is the only
> informational message that you have.

I guess you're right. ;-)

> Start off by adding the new IP address and hostname
> to the Debian machine's /etc/hosts file.

That worked.  Thanx.

> If kdm works, then contact your network administrator
> to figure out a more permanent solution.

I guess the simplest thing to do, would be to
lock the IP address of the laptop to the ethernet
hardware address, in the DHCP server.

That's what we used to do in my old job.

Thanx again!

- Steinar

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.