Re: Animabob program- know where problem coming from

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

> > On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 05:51:28PM -0700, Rob wrote:
> > >Now I understand why there are so few ports.  Rob.
> >
> > Yes, you're right.  No one provides any details, everyone expects
> > people
> > to be mind readers, hardly anyone knows how to use the tools, most
> > can't
> > follow basic instructions, some profess to be on the verge of doing
> > wonderful things while hardly anyone ever follows through on their
> > plans.
> >
> > Welcome to free software.
> >
> > cgf
>
> WOW, Chris just wrote the verses from Bible of Free software :-)
>
> Suhaib

IMHO Eric Raymond's "How to ask questions the smart way"
(http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)
should be mandatory reading for anyone subscribing to the cygwin-xfree
mailing list (or indeed almost any free help list).

Perhaps a link to the document could be put on
http://cygwin.com/lists.html.  Perhaps
"Please check out the FAQ ... before sending email to a mailing list.
`How to ask questions the smart way' by Eric Raymond is also suggested
reading."

and in http://xfree86.cygwin.com/faq.html under point 1.12.

On the other hand, putting up instructions on the website doesn't always
seem to have the desired effect.  Perhaps just emailing people the link
as required is a better approach. :-)

Rasjid.