Re: Minimum set of cygwin packages for xfree

Marc CHANTREUX wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 02:11:17PM -0700, Lars Jensen wrote:
> > Is there a list of a minimum set of cygwin packages that must be
> > installed before xfree can be installed? (Note that I am not asking about
> > the minimum set of cygwin-xfree packages needed - this is described in
> > the cygwin-xfree documentation.)
>
> Rasdij has done it ! :
>
> http://www.users.bigpond.com/rasjidw/ (about 5Mb)
>
> this is for XDMCP client use. but you can extend for a complete X server (
> adding the fonts ,a window manager and some X applications).

and just a general desire to make it easy to update a `minimal' install
without me personally having to keep everything up to date, I am about
to completely redesign my `minimal' package.

In short, am going to start using the proper cygwin install program to
install cygwin.  The only packages you need to get a working bash prompt
are:

bash  cygwin  fileutils  sh-utils

To run XWin, I think you will also need zlib.

In summary, to do things the proper way and use cygwin's setup program,
you need the following cygwin packages:
bash  cygwin  fileutils  sh-utils  zlib

You also need the following files from Cygwin-XFree:
rgb.txt  SecurityPolicy  XWin.exe

If you want to use the part of my script that automatically choses a
display number, you will also need the cygwin grep package.  Most of my
existing script can be deleted, as most of it is there to create a
writable /tmp directory.  This will no longer need to be done. (The
current script also needs cut which is in textutils.)  I think that
about covers it.

PLEASE NOTE: This is enough for XDMCP client use only, and I have not
tested the above arangement yet.  When I have, I shall update my website
accordingly.

Cheers,

Rasjid.