RE: continued installation problems

Thanks very much for the response.

I first tried to reinstall zlib from setup.exe.  No luck - got the same
white screen in startxwin.bat

Next I reinstalled Cygwin from my setup directory (c:\cyginstall\latest),
making sure zlib was there. -no missing .dll messages this time.

I then reinstalled Cygnus/Xwin & ran startxwin.bat, and got the same white
screen as before.  Four dos windows popped up - "xterm", "xwin",
"finished-startxwin", "twm" (same as before).

Xwin has the following in it
ddxProcessArgument ()
ddxProcessArgument () - screen - argc: 5 i: 1
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000017
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per
pix
el
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient w 1024 h 768 r 1024 l 0 b
768
t 0
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - lPitch: 2048
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()

Startxwin has startxwin.bat - "starting on Windows 95/98/Me" in it.

Should I change some sort of screen attribute?  I don't really understand
the instruction at
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-configure-options.html.

Thanks again.
Ted