Re: rootless mode

Peter,

Rootless mode is not yet supported in the cygwin X server.  The reason, if you
are interested, is because the Cygwin port is in it's initial stages currently,
where the X server is really a FrameBuffer based X server.  To make a Rootless
X server based off of the FrameBuffer architecture would take a lot of work,
and be extremely inefficient.

The developers are beginning on work to make the X server rely on the win32
GDI, which may allow for a Rootless mode... but my guess is that it will not
exist until the GDI implementation has been completed and tested.

So, for a simple answer, no, Rootless mode is not supported, and will not be
for some time.  Commercial X servers for Windows such as LabF's WinaXe,
Hummingbird eXceed and Starnet's Xwin32 all include a rootless mode, but of
course, are in no way free :)

Brian